Wytham Woods is an area of long-established mixed woodland noted for its high population of badgers and long-term monitoring of great tits.
It is on rising ground to the west of the village and covers 1000 acres. The woods are a Site of Special Scientific Interest.
The University of Oxford has owned the woods since 1942 and uses them for research in zoology and climate change. The University has a field station north of the village.
It is claimed to be one of the most researched pieces of woodland in the world. The woods are open to the public by permit which are available on application, for walking.
Click here to visit the official Wytham Woods website.